Conserving knowledge: sharing a traditional Jamu recipe
More aware about the choices we make, going for more natural products.
Healthy living, Healthy eating, what did you learn about it since getting involved in the medicinal garden project?
Since being involved in the Socfindo Conservation initiative, I have been amazed to see the diverse uses of plants that surround us. We try to apply some of the knowledge we learn in our daily lives by being generally more aware about the choices we make, going for more natural products.
Would you like to share a recipe that you liked? Have any of the local people share recipes with you that you did not know before?
How to make Jamu Kunyit Asam (Turmeric and Tamarind Jamu)
- 100 gram tamarind
- 100 gram turmeric
- 20 gram ginger
- liter spring water
- 100 gram raw sugar (optional)
- 100 gram palm sugar (optional)
- 1tbsp lime/lemon juice (optional)
- Finely grate or dice turmeric, tamarind, and ginger roots.
- Blend the grated turmeric, tamarind, ginger roots and spring water using electric blender.
- Pour the mixture into a pot and simmer for 10 minutes over low heat.
- Add in sugars at this stage.
- Remove Jamu from the heat, strain and press using a clean cloth.
- Pour into bottles or glass jars, and drink immediately. You can add lemon or lime juice for an added kick.
This Jamu drink can be refrigerated for up to one week. The sugar in this recipe is only added to taste, so you can skip it or substitute it with honey for a healthier version.